Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Jeer: Boston drivers - stay out of the crosswalks please

Boston has a well earned reputation for producing some of the most rude, aggressive and hostile drivers anywhere in the U.S.

On March 5th, at 10:45 in the morning, I was struck by one of them.
A classic hit-and-run.

At the intersection of Columbus and Dartmouth, I was crossing Columbus, in the crosswalk, when a small pickup truck tried in vain to beat the traffic light and as the police report indicates: "Struck the victim into the air".

I think this means I'm going to be late for work!

After the blinding stars in my head cleared, I opened my eyes and saw the bright blue morning sky. I also heard several shocked and vocal witnesses telling me not to move and that an ambulance was already on the way.

Thankfully, at least one person was calling the police and giving a description of the car that struck me and the direction it was headed.

While all of the post accident commotion was swirling around me, I realized that I was still sprawled on my back while more and more people were gathering around, mostly just to gawk at the poor bastard lying squarely in the middle of a busy intersection.

Not wanting to draw the ire of another Boston driver who might be dreadfully inconvenienced by my inopportune landing spot, I decided to get slowly up (with the aid of a passerby) and hobble to the closest sidewalk where I sank to the ground, leaning against a large mailbox.

I wondered how many dogs had relieved themselves on the very spot where I now slumped.

I also heard the nearing blare of an ambulance and at least two police cars.

All of this commotion swirling around me, the guy that prefers to be squarely under the radar and steers away from attention, I had no choice but to be that guy, that victim, that suddenly center of attention.

That split second on that Friday morning has now drawn me into the frustrating beauracracy and intertwining of doctors, insurance companies and lawyers. I can only imagine how helpful and efficient the insurance ccompanies will be.

And all because a Boston driver (who by the way was 22 and driving with a suspended license) felt she needed to beat that light and ended up plowing through me and my 44 year old frame.

I'm scheduled to have knee surgery April 13th and will be laid up for at least a month post-op. I'll also require an undetermined amount of physical therapy. Though the results could easily have been more serious, my life has been most unpleasantly impacted.

So keep your eyes and ears open and never assume the safety and security of a Boston crosswalk. If not, you just might be the center of attention yourself one day!

Big Jeer: Boston Drivers

No comments:

Post a Comment